Do you accept cash donations too?
Yes. We depend on your support. Please use the following link to get in touch with us. https://techfortroops.org/donate/
Do you destroy data on the computers you are given?
Absolutely. The method we use to wipe data from computers has been approved by some tough organizations, such as the U.S. Department of Defense, the National Institute for Standards and Technology, and the National Security Agency. We exceed NIST standards by double-validating the majority of drives after they have been wiped.
We have a number of methods to erase data from drives. If we cannot wipe a drive – if, for instance, it has a hardware error that prevents it from starting properly – we physically destroy it using a degausser.
Are donations tax-deductible?
What type of organizations support Tech For Troops?
We are very fortunate to have a willing and able donor community in central Virginia. The primary sources of donations are:
- Corporations who donate used computers rather than send them to the landfill or recycler, provide funds, and bring their employees for community service days.
- Organizations willing to engage their membership in a computer drive or fundraiser.
- Individuals who hear about our mission and are glad to empty a closet of old computer equipment, volunteer, or become a regular donor to our cause.
What do you do with the equipment you can’t donate?
Any donated equipment that we can’t reuse is put back into circulation through resale or recycled responsibly. Proceeds from recycling and reselling fund our mission.
Is there anything you can’t accept?
We can’t take:
- CRT monitors (the old boxy kind)
- Broken monitors
Who started Tech For Troops?
Tech For Troops was started in Richmond, Virginia by a mother and son team who were passionate about military veterans in need and wanted to do something to help. In 2013 after hearing about the force reductions and a huge number of returning soldiers, they decided to collect used PCs, refurbish them, and provide them to veterans’ support organizations.
Who has received donations from Tech For Troops?
Some of the veterans assistance organizations that have received computers include:
- River City Comprehensive Counseling Services
- Veterans’ Employment Program
- DLW Veterans Outreach and Training Center
- Liberation Family Services
- McGuire VA Medical Center
- American Legion
- Team Red White & Blue
- American Legion Post across the US
- VFW across the US
What kind of equipment do you need?
Right now we need:
- Laptops and power adapters
- Desktop/tower computers
- File servers and networking equipment
- Flat panel monitors
- Keyboards, mice, power cords
- Other computer parts
- iPads and tablet computers
- Cell phones
Why do you do this?
Tech For Troops Project exists to solve a problem and help others.
- Post 9/11 veterans have a higher rate of homelessness, poverty, and unemployment than any group of veterans in the last century. They need our help.
- Working computers can provide a new life to struggling veterans rather than being discarded.
What does Tech For Troops do?
Tech For Troops collects and refurbishes used computers from individuals and businesses, and donates them to veterans. For veterans interested in a computer career, we offer free training, internships, and introductions to potential employers.